Dr. Henry L. Wolfner (1860-1935)
Born in Chicago, Illinois, November 1, 1860, Dr. Wolfner received his degree in medicine from the Missouri Medical College in St. Louis, in 1881. He later took special postgraduate work in diseases of the eye in several European universities. For a number of years Dr. Wolfner was professor of clinical opthamology in the Washington University School of Medicine. He was a member of the staffs of the Jewish and Bethesda Hospitals and engaged in an active practice until one year prior to his death on July 11, 1935.
For nine years, Dr. Wolfner was a member of the Board of Education, serving one term as president and resigning June 13, 1922. He was also president of the Board of the Home for Aged and Infirm Israelites.
On November 24, 1931, Dr. Wolfner, with a group of veteran physicians, was honored by the St. Louis Medical Society for having practiced in St. Louis for a half century.