WHEREAS, Executive Order 05-20, establishing the Homeland Security Advisory Council (the "Council"), was issued on July 21, 2005; and
WHEREAS, the Council was tasked with ensuring that proper homeland security plans and coordination are in place at the state and local level and that homeland security grant expenditures are done in a coordinated and efficient way; and
WHEREAS, Executive Order 05-20 provided that the Commission's work was to be completed by January 1, 2006, but that the Council could recommend that it continue some or all of its functions if authorized by the Governor; and
WHEREAS, the Chair of the Council has informed me that it has completed all the action items assigned to it by Executive Order 05-20, but that the Council should remain in existence to provide continuing guidance and assistance on homeland security issues and initiatives; and
WHEREAS, it is also appropriate to update the structure of the homeland security function within the Department of Public Safety to reflect the current organization and operation.
NOW THEREFORE, I, Matt Blunt, Governor of the State of Missouri, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, hereby direct and order the following:
- The Director of the Department of Public Safety is the Homeland Security Advisor to the Governor. To assist the Director, the Office of Homeland Security is established in the Department of Public Safety. The Director shall appoint a Homeland Security Coordinator to interact with and promote unity between federal, state and local agencies in implementing homeland security initiatives.
I hereby reauthorize the Homeland Security Advisory Council as a continuing
advisory body. The Homeland Security Advisory Council membership shall
continue as set out in Executive Order 05-20 except that the following
members shall be added to the Council:
- The Director of the Department of Mental Health; and
- Any additional members appointed by the Governor.
The Council shall continue in existence unless abolished by future Executive
Order. The additional duties and responsibilities of the Council shall be
- Produce an annual report due December 31 of each year highlighting the year's accomplishments and summarizing the homeland security grant funding activities; and
- Continue to create, develop and provide oversight to specific homeland security working groups and to dissolve such working groups when their missions are accomplished; and
- Work with and provide direction to regional homeland security oversight committees to establish strategies and priorities for Missouri homeland security grant funding programs and other homeland security initiatives; and
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Governor.
Executive Order 05-20 shall remain effective as to all other provisions
not specifically modified herein.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 10th day of February, 2006.
[Matt Blunt's signature]
[Robin Carnahan's signature]
Secretary of State