WHEREAS, federal and state governments are responding to tremendous changes in energy markets and an evolving energy industry; and
WHEREAS, these changes require consideration of public energy policies that ensure reliable, affordable energy supplies, environmentally-sound energy resources, and consumer protections and
WHEREAS, Missourians will benefit from state emergency policies that lead the state to increase energy independence, economic vitality, and environmental quality; and
WHEREAS, the State of Missouri recognizes that the significant economic, environmental, and energy-security benefits associated with energy efficiency and domestic renewable energy resource development and therefore identifies such efficiency and development as fundamental components of Missouri energy policy.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, BOB HOLDEN, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the Laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby create and establish the Missouri Energy Policy Council (hereinafter, the Council). For administrative purposes, the Council shall be assigned to the Department of Natural Resources.
The Council shall be composed of not more than 20 individuals appointed by the Governor. Members shall include the Director of the Department of Natural Resources, the Director of the Department of Economic Development, Office of the Public Counsel, or their designees. Council membership shall also include one Senator and one Representative, a member or members of the public at large, a representative of utilities and other energy providers, a representative of business and industry, a representative of the buildings sector, a representative of labor, a representative of energy efficiency organizations, a representative of renewable energy organizations or businesses, a representative of environmental organizations, and other members as the Governor may appoint. The Director of the Department of Natural Resources or his or her designee shall serve as the Council chair. Members of the Council shall serve without compensation except that task force members may be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary expenses arising from the Council's activities or business.
The Council shall meet at least annually.
The Council shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Governor on matters of local, state, regional, and national energy policy. In this respect, the Council shall consider and make recommendations on, among other issues:
- major aspects of energy policy, energy supplies, and energy prices,
- consumer protections, including consumer education, universal access, low-income assistance funding, and the impact of regulatory changes,
- new energy technologies and trends,
- opportunities to increase energy efficiency, and
- opportunities to increase the use of diverse and clean energy supplies to improve the economic vitality and environmental quality of Missouri residences, businesses, farms, and transportation.
The initial focus of the Council shall be to prepare a report, which shall be sent to the Governor no later than June 1, 2003, that includes:
- analysis of Missouri's current and future energy supplies and demand,
- analysis of the impact of Standard Market Design rules proposed by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and
- recommendations for how Missouri states government may demonstrate its leadership in energy efficiency.
|IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 13th day of March 2003.|
|[Bob Holden's signature]||BOB HOLDEN
[Matt Blunt's signature]
SECRETARY OF STATE