WHEREAS, agriculture is a vital and important force within Missouri's economy, and
WHEREAS, a free and open livestock market is beneficial to all of Missouri's livestock producers; and
WHEREAS, this administration is committed to the continued success and growth of the livestock industry; and
WHEREAS; Missouri's producers have a right to equal treatment within the marketplace when all variables are equal; and
WHEREAS, the Missouri legislature made it unlawful for any packer with respect to livestock, meats, meat food products, or livestock products in unmanufactured form to:
- Engage in any unfair, unjust, discriminatory, or deceptive practice;
- Give any undue or unreasonable preference or advantage to any person or location in any respect whatsoever;
- Sell or transfer to, for, or from any other packer with the effect of apportioning the supply between the packers, restraining trade, or creating a monopoly;
- Sell or transfer any article with the effect of manipulating or controlling prices;
- Engage in any business practice for the purpose of manipulating or controlling prices, creating a monopoly, or restraining commerce; or
- Conspire with any other person to apportion territory for carrying on business, apportion purchases, or control prices; and
WHEREAS, the enforcement of this law is entrusted to the Missouri Attorney General with the Missouri Director of Agriculture referring specific cases of suspected discrimination;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Bob Holden, Governor of the State of Missouri, by virtue of the powers vested in me through the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby establish the Missouri Livestock Market Advisory Committee.
The objective of this Advisory Committee shall be to offer advice toward the implementation and rule development process of the Missouri Livestock Marketing Act, and to offer policy suggestions for the development of fair and open markets for livestock sales in Missouri. Additionally, the Advisory Committee will be charged with offering recommendations to the Director of the Missouri Department of Agriculture for the creation of a new livestock processing infrastructure and the development of additional marketing options for livestock producers.
The Advisory Committee shall be composed of 7 members:
- Three (3) of the members shall be appointed by the Governor;
- Two (2) of the members shall be appointed by the President Pro-Tem of the Senate, with no more than one appointee being from the same political party; and
- Two (2) of the members shall be appointed by the Speaker of the House, with no more than one appointee being from the same political party.
The Chair of the Senate Agriculture Committee and the Chair of the House Agriculture Committee will act as Ex-Officio, non-voting members of the Advisory Committee.
The Governor shall designate the chair of the Advisory Committee.
The Advisory Committee shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
|IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 14th day of September, 2001.|
|[Bob Holden's signature]||BOB HOLDEN
[Matt Blunt's signature]
SECRETARY OF STATE
Governor's Executive Orders documents are available on this website in the .pdf format. In order to view or print them, you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. To download a free copy of Adobe Reader, click on the icon below.
NOTE: If you are experiencing problems opening PDFs using IE8, please place the mouse over the selected PDF, right-click then select Open in New Tab or Open in New Window.