WHEREAS, the care and provision of services to the elderly, children and people with disabilities is of vital importance to the State of Missouri; and
WHEREAS, this administration strives to ensure that the elderly, children and people with disabilities of the State of Missouri have proper care; and
WHEREAS, the ability to recruit and retain qualified staff to serve as caregivers to the elderly, children and people with disabilities has become increasingly difficult and;
WHEREAS, to effectively assess the issue of sustaining an adequate workforce to care for Missouri's elderly, children and people with disabilities it is desirable that more detailed information be collected and organized, that strategies be developed to address this issue and that a plan be developed to increase the number of qualified staff.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Mel Carnahan, Governor of the State of Missouri, by the virtue of the powers vested in me through the Constitution and the laws of Missouri, do hereby establish the Caregivers Workforce Task Force:
- The Task Force shall consist of the Directors, or their designees,
of the Department of Labor & Industrial Relations, the Department
of Social Services, the Department of Mental Health, the Department
of Health and the Department of Economic Development. The Director,
or his designee, of the Department of Social Services shall serve
as the Task Force chairperson.
- The Task Force chairperson shall designate such additional members
representing the nursing home industry, the in-home care provider
industry, child care industry, and organizations or groups that
advocate on behalf of children, the elderly and people with disabilities
as are necessary for the task force to complete its work.
- The Task Force members shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor
and shall receive no compensation for duties performed, but may
be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred as a
result of their participation on the Task Force. Such expenses
shall be paid from the operating appropriations of the five member
- The Task Force shall engage in the following activities:
- Conduct a survey to determine the average level of staff-to-resident/child/client
ratios in nursing homes, skilled care facilities, or child
- Examine turnover rates, qualifications and salary rates
of in-home care providers and of caregivers working in nursing
homes, skilled care facilities and child care facilities;
- Identify the specific barriers to the recruitment and retention
- Examine the potential costs and benefits of establishing
minimum staffing levels for nursing homes and other facilities
that serve the specified populations;
- Hold public hearings for the purpose of collecting data;
- Identify and evaluate existing federal, state and local
programs that address problems and solutions relevant to the
Task Force's targeted areas of study; and
- Develop strategies to address the issue of recruitment and
retention of caregivers.
- Conduct a survey to determine the average level of staff-to-resident/child/client ratios in nursing homes, skilled care facilities, or child care facilities;
|IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 31st day of January, 2000.|
|[Mel Carnahan's signature]||GOVERNOR|
[Rebecca McDowell Cook's signature]
SECRETARY OF STATE
Governor's Executive Orders documents are available on this website in the .pdf format. In order to view or print them, you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. To download a free copy of Adobe Reader, click on the icon below.
NOTE: If you are experiencing problems opening PDFs using IE8, please place the mouse over the selected PDF, right-click then select Open in New Tab or Open in New Window.