WHEREAS, the emergence of intergovernmental issues including state and federal aid, state and federal mandates, home rule, and others requires increased communication and cooperation between the state and local governments; and
WHEREAS, a state-local partnership for problem-solving and planning will be beneficial to both levels of government and to the people of Missouri; and
WHEREAS, the current and future shift of federal responsibilities to state and local governments requires the establishment of a cooperative partnership between state and local government; and
WHEREAS, the State should exercise leadership in fostering and encouraging development of a partnership between State and local government; and
WHEREAS, it is appropriate that private citizens be involved in efforts to encourage a partnership between State and local government.
NOW, THEREFORE, I JOHN ASHCROFT, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, hereby establish the MISSOURI COMMISSION ON LOCAL GOVERNMENT COOPERATION. The Commission shall be composed of thirty-one (31) members, as follows: ten (10) private citizens who shall be appointed by the Governor; five (5) state officials who shall beappointed by the Governor; two (2) Senators (one of each party) who shall be appointed by the President Pro Tem of the Senate; two (2) Representatives (one of each party) who shall be appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives; four (4) municipal elected officials who shall be appointed by the Missouri Municipal League; two (2) elected county officials who shall be appointed by the Missouri Association of Counties; two (2) local government administrators who shall be appointed by the Missouri City Management Association; one (1) Director of the Missouri Municipal League: one (1) Director of the Missouri Association of Counties, one (1) Regional Planning Commission Director appointed by the Missouri Association of Councils of Goverrment; and one (1) school board member appointed by the Commission members.
The Governor shall designate one of the members of the Commission to serve as Chairman, and the Chairman shall call meetings of the commission. The Missouri Commission on Local Government Cooperation is assigned to the Commissioner of Administration, who shall provide staff assistance as needed. Members of the Council shall receive no compensation for their service but: shall be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.
The duties of the Commission are:
1. To undertake, as it deems appropriate, research and investigation into issues and problems pertaining to state-local relations.The Commission shall report annually to the Governor on its activities, and on the results of its studies, and shall include any recommendations for legislative, executive, or judicial administrative action to the Governor, the General Assembly, and the Supreme Court. The Missouri Commission on Local Government Cooperation shall terminate on July 1, 1994, unless renewed by an Executive Order executed prior to that date. This Executive Order supersedes and rescinds any previous Executive Order on the same subject.
2. To function as a clearinghouse for information relevant to intergovernmental issues.
3. To serve as a vehicle of communication through which start and local governments can meet to discuss and resolve shared existing and potential problems.
4. To review and analyze proposed legislation and regulatory changes that affect State and local Government relations.
5. To coordinate the provision of technical assistance to state and local government in a broad range of program and policy areas.
6. To perform other such similar services and research as the Commission shall decide upon.
|IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 18th day of September, 1991.|
|[John Ashcroft's signature]||GOVERNOR|
[Roy D. Blunt's signature]
SECRETARY OF STATE
Governor's Executive Orders documents are available on this website in the .pdf format. In order to view or print them, you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. To download a free copy of Adobe Reader, click on the icon below.
NOTE: If you are experiencing problems opening PDFs using IE8, please place the mouse over the selected PDF, right-click then select Open in New Tab or Open in New Window.