Download the Employment Application
To our applicants with disabilities: If you need assistance with this or any phase of the employment process, please contact our Human Resource Office at (573) 522-6254. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate your needs.
Jefferson City, Missouri
Missouri State Library Reference Services
This is advanced technical/paraprofessional work responsible for technical library routines related to the Missouri State Library Reference Services Division. Reports to the Reference Services Director, supervision is of a general nature through designation of program and functional areas of responsibility. Librarians may also assign work and give input to the Director on performance.
- Works as part of a committed team of librarians and support staff to provide library services to state employees.
- Assists with circulation functions of the Missouri State Library using integrated library system (ILS) (currently III Sierra); responsible for daily circulation services; works with Electronic Services Librarian to ensure statewide library consortia policies for circulation are implemented.
- Assists Outreach and Training Librarian in maintaining smooth daily workflow on interlibrary loan and document delivery services using OCLC WorldShare Interlibrary Loan software and online database services; works with Outreach and Training Librarian to ensure national standards and procedures area implemented.
- Assists Electronic Services Librarian retrieving and collecting information from third-party content providers and maintenance of online services. May include troubleshooting activities related to online services.
- Assists Documents Librarian with daily operations of federal documents and state documents including receiving documents and preparing de-accessioned documents for other Federal Depository Library Program libraries and Missouri State Archives.
- Assists with maintenance of library records using ILS software and OCLC WorldCat. May include database clean-up activities.
- Provides monthly statistics for the Division as needed.
- Assists with maintenance of the physical collections of the Division including shelving books and filing microforms. May include routine mail processing.
- Assists with special projects, staff committees, and perform related duties as assigned. May include support for production of daily newspaper clipping service.
- Works as part of Missouri State Library administrative support team. May include back-up functions. May include shared tasks related to smooth overall operation of the State Library and SOS.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of library technical operations.
- Working knowledge of an automated online library computer system.
- Demonstrated ability to apply systematic and detailed multi-step procedures to assignments.
- Skill in communicating effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new processes and new software applications quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability in customer service.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong Internet and database searching skills.
- Basic skills with standard office equipment including copiers, printers, and fax machines.
Two years of college course work or equivalent general office work experience is required. Some lifting of heavy boxes weighing up to 50 pounds is required. Essential job functions require standing, bending, stooping, and reaching high shelves for book placement and retrieval. Requires operation of computer keyboard and ability to sit at a desk 2 to 4 hours at a time.
Position posted December 2, 2013. The minimum posting period will end: December 13, 2013. After the minimum posting period, the position may be closed to new applicants and filled at any time.
Application materials (resume, completed application) may be mailed to: Attention: Technician II,Human Resources, Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 1767. Jefferson City, MO 65102. Hrmain@sos.mo.gov. EOE.