Download the Employment Application
To our applicants with disabilities: If you need assistance with this or any phase of the employment process, please contact our Human Resource Office at (573) 522-6254. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate your needs.
Computer Information Tech I/II/III (Database Administrator)
James C. Kirkpatrick State Information Center
600 West Main St.
Jefferson City, MO 65101
An individual in this position provides moderately complex expertise in database administration within a primarily Microsoft SQL Server environment with possible secondary duties in an Oracle environment. The Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible for assisting with the planning, maintenance and development of databases within the SOS enterprise system.
The general responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following job functions.
- Recoverability / Disaster Recovery
Develop, create, and test backups and backup plans
Verify or help to verify data integrity
Define and/or implement access controls to the data
Ensure that authorized users can access and change data as needed
Ensure maximum performance given constraints
- Development and Testing Support
Help developers to efficiently utilize the database.
An individual in this position will be able to perform the following types of work tasks. These examples are a representation of expected work, but are not limited to just the following.
- Ensure that storage, archiving, backup and recovery procedures are functioning correctly.
- Assist with the administration of the technical design, testing, and implementation of all databases.
- Develop and maintain database systems to extract, cleanse, transform, load and maintain data.
- Participate in the overall solution development lifecycle including the analysis, design, testing, and implementation of databases in support of the solutions.
- Development and maintenance of the database persistence layer (stored procedures, views, functions) for SOS applications.
- Ensure all database systems meet business and performance requirements.
- Provide database development support to application services team.
- Produce ad-hoc queries and develop reports to support business needs.
- Creation and maintenance of technical documentation.
- Prepare scripts and SSIS packages for data integration, data maintenance or bug fixes.
- Analyze, define and document system requirements for data, workflow, logical processes and production configuration.
- Write and maintain functional and technical specifications.
- Analyze code for problem resolution and performance optimizations.
- Provide technical consulting and respond to error reports, problems or questions.
- Analyze, install and test commercial software for internal use. Provide technical support for third party systems integrated with SOS applications.
- Ability to self-manage assigned tasks.
- Develop and maintain standards, procedures and methodologies for effective operation, access, control backup and recovery of all database systems.
- Coordinate changes to databases and authorize modifications of appropriate production systems.
- Audit database performance capacity reports and implement additional capacity or performance enhancements.
- Schedule and monitor manual and automated batch jobs and dependencies. Take corrective action as necessary.
- Create data models based on specified requirements.
- Create database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary ('metadata').
- Control access permissions and privileges.
- Meet user access requirements and resolving connectivity issues.
- Capacity planning.
- Communicate regularly with technical, application, and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security.
- Provide on-call (off-hour and weekend) support for the systems.
- Coordinate with other IT employees to ensure implementation and monitoring of databases.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Computer Science, Management of Information Systems or closely related field from an accredited college, university, or technical training institute.
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Oracle Database
- Microsoft Reporting Services
- Microsoft Analysis Services
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft Visual Source Safe
- Microsoft Office
Skills and Abilities:
- Communicate effectively.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Independence in performing work.
- Significant productivity of high-quality work.
- Logical approach to problem-solving and troubleshooting.
- In-depth problem analysis.
- Multi-task concurrent projects, requests, and/or problems.
- Understand Use Cases and other UML products.
- Prepare and maintain standards, policies, procedures, guidelines and technical manuals.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to interact with and obtain requirements and information from end-users.
- Ability to grasp and use new technologies and tools.
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Computer Science, Graphic Design, or closely related field from an accredited college, university, or technical training institute.
- Minimum of three years full-time experience doing web design and development utilizing tools, languages, and operating environment equivalent to that used by the Secretary of State’s office.
Position posted June 3, 2013. The minimum posting period will end June 30, 2013. After the minimum posting period, the position may be closed to new applicants and filled at any time.
Application materials (cover letter, resume, completed application) may be mailed to: Attention: Computer Information Tech I/II/III, Human Resources, Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 1767, Jefferson City, MO 65101. EOE.