Marion County Library Subdistrict #1
Register of the First Presbyterian Church of Marion College
Marion College was incorporated in 1831 in Philadelphia, Missouri. The college was established for the purpose of educating young men for the ministry and was founded by Rev. Dr. David Nelson, Dr. David Clark, and William Muldrow. Rev. Dr. Nelson was an outspoken abolitionist who was forced to flee the area for Quincy, Illinois, as tensions in the area escalated. There he helped with the Underground Railroad.
The registry contains the church’s membership and baptisms from 1836 to 1853. Membership includes names, when received, and how and when dismissed. The codes used are D - dismissed, Ex - Excommunicated, Ob - died, L - received by letter, P - received by profession of faith, Susp - suspended. Baptisms include dates, names, births and administrator. In the membership listing, the ledger includes the names of slaves and often states their owner’s name.
Rights and Reproductions
Contact Marion County Library Subdistrict #1, Palmyra, MO, for permission to use these materials. Phone 573-769-2830 or email Peggy Northcraft at email@example.com.