Museum of Osteopathic Medicine (SM) A.T. Still University
Charles E. Still Sr. and Jr. Collection
Dr. Charles Edward Still Sr. (1895-1955) was the oldest son of Andrew Taylor Still and Mary Elvira (Turner) Still. Andrew Taylor Still was the founder of the American School of Osteopathy in Kirksville, Missouri, and considered to be the father of osteopathic medicine. Charles was trained by his father to become an osteopath and graduated with the schoolís first class in 1894. During A.T. Still's later years, it was Dr. "Charley" who took over running the American School of Osteopathy (ASO). He was twice elected mayor of Kirksville, was a member of the board of trustees of the ASO from 1894-1918 and served 14 years in the Missouri House of Representatives. He died on July 4, 1955 at the age of ninety.
The entire Charles E. Still Sr./Jr. Collection comprises about 4 linear feet (1882-1992: bulk 1900-1940). The digitized portion of the Charles E. Still Sr./Jr. Collection includes only typed and handwritten reminiscences to Dr. Charles Still Sr., regarding his father Andrew Taylor Still. Many are written by some of the early names in osteopathic medicine such as Drs. M.F. Hulett, Alice Patterson Shibley, E.E. Tucker and Jeannette "Nettie" Bolles. These reminiscences along with other papers in the collection were used to produce a book entitled "Frontier Doctor Medical Pioneer" by Dr. Charles Still Jr. (1907-1995).
Rights and Reproductions
Requests for permission to publish or reproduce material from the Charles E. Still Sr. and Jr. Collection should be directed to the Curator, Museum of Osteopathic Medicine SM, 800 West Jefferson Street, Kirksville, MO 63501; telephone 660-626-2359. The Museum does not claim to hold the copyright for all material in the Charles E. Still Sr. and Jr. Collection; it is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of other copyrights. Suggested citation: Charles E. Still Sr. and Jr. Collection, Museum of Osteopathic Medicine SM, Kirksville, Missouri [accession #].
How to Use This Collection
The transcriptions are searchable, as are a number of data fields. Most researchers will find the following fields most useful for searches: Title, Description, Subject, Date.Original, and Transcription. The Description field links the context of many of these documents together. Spelling has been corrected only for significant words; name variations are common; users may need to try searching several spellings. Searches may also be affected by the square brackets used to mark features such as underlining, cross-outs, and illegible words.
Most of the collections of the Museum of Osteopathic Medicine are directly or indirectly related to the osteopathic school founded in 1892, osteopathic history globally and to the founder, Andrew Taylor Still. The collection can be viewed online at: http://momicoh.pastperfect-online.com/ and finding aids are available at http://www.atsu.edu/museum/collections/research_tools.htm. See especially: Finding Aid to the Andrew Taylor Still Papers, Charles E. Still Collection, American School of Osteopathy (ASO) Record Books, Still and Laughlin biographical and genealogical files.
This collection is part of the larger Museum of Osteopathic Medicine collection on Missouri Digital Heritage, which can be browsed in its entirety here: http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fatsu, and searched here: http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm4/search.php?col_val=/atsu.