Museum of Osteopathic Medicine (SM) and International Center for Osteopathic History
American School of Osteopathy (ASO) Record Books
Dr. A.T. Still introduced osteopathy to the world in June, 1874. In 1891 Dr. Still created an "informal" class to prepare qualified "operators" or students to assist in his practice and to serve as instructors when the school opened. The group of students consisted of Dr. Still's sons and daughter, Joe Hatten, William Wilderson, and M.L. Ward. On May 10, 1892, Dr. Still was awarded a state charter to open a school, and in the fall of 1892 the American School of Osteopathy (ASO) was founded in a two-room frame building. The first class of five women and 16 men, including three of Dr. Still's children and one of his nephews, graduated in 1894. By 1895 the ASO had tripled the size of the original school.
The American School of Osteopathy Record Books (1892-1916) comprise about 3 linear feet. These documents reflect incorporation, early board governance, faculty proceedings, rules and regulations and the osteopaths who influenced the profession's formation and the medical practice in general. Format includes handwritten, typed and printed materials.
Over 600 pages were transcribed for the online collection. These were chosen with the goal of making rare, difficult-to-read documents both accessible and searchable. In addition, none of the selected items have been widely published or circulated.
Rights and Reproductions
Requests for permission to publish or reproduce material from the American School of Osteopathy Record Books should be directed to the Curator, Museum of Osteopathic Medicine SM, 800 West Jefferson Street, Kirksville, MO 63501; telephone 660-626-2359. The Museum does not claim to hold the copyright for all material in the ASO Record Books; it is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of other copyrights. Suggested citation: American School of Osteopathy Record Books, Museum of Osteopathic Medicine SM, Kirksville, Missouri [accession #].
How to Use this Collection
The transcriptions are searchable, as are a number of data fields. Most researchers will find the following fields most useful for searches: Title, Description, Subject, Date.Original, and Transcription. The Description field links the context of many of these documents together. Spelling has been corrected only for significant words; name variations are common; users may need to try searching several spellings. Searches may also be affected by the square brackets used to mark features such as underlining, cross-outs, and illegible words.
Most of the collections of the Museum of Osteopathic Medicine (artifacts, documents, photographs, books, journals, and other materials) are directly or indirectly related to the osteopathic school founded in 1892, osteopathic history globally and to the founder, Andrew Taylor Still. The collection can be viewed on line at: http://momicoh.pastperfect-online.com/ and finding aids are available at http://www.atsu.edu/museum/collections/research_tools.htm. See especially: Finding Aid to the Andrew Taylor Still Papers, Charles E. Still Collection, Still and Laughlin biographical and genealogical files.
This collection is part of the larger Museum of Osteopathic Medicine collection on Missouri Digital Heritage, which can be browsed in its entirety here: http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fatsu, and searched here: http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm4/search.php?col_val=/atsu.