Download the Employment Application
To our applicants with disabilities: If you need assistance with this or any phase of the employment process, please contact our Human Resource Office at (573) 522-6254. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate your needs.
Computer Information Tech Specialist I (Application Developer)
James C. Kirkpatrick State Information Center
600 West Main St.
Jefferson City, MO 65101
An individual in this position performs moderately complex analysis, design, program development, and administration/configuration of computer application software. The primary responsibility of this position is VB.NET and ASP.NET development. The Application Developer is also responsible for providing customer support, troubleshooting software problems, and assisting with more complex tasks or problems.
The general responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following job functions:
- Application Development
Analyze, plan, and develop application solutions utilizing screen design, coding, staging testing and release (solution development lifecycle
- Application Support
PeMaintain and enhance existing applications
An individual in this position will be able to perform the following types of work tasks. These examples are a representation of expected work, but are not limited to just the following.
- Designs, writes, documents, tests, and maintains applications including those of high complexity.
- Performs maintenance/enhancement activities on existing applications in accordance with user or analyst requirements without disrupting functional existing code.
- Responds to questions from customers needing assistance; identifies problem source and resolves problems; refers and discusses problems with supervisor or other designated contacts as appropriate.
- Develops and/or collaborates with UI team to develop user-friendly screens when required.
- Develops efficient business and data access logic to support online applications.
- May serve as support technician for any system regardless of complexity.
- Thoroughly tests and corrects developed code so that it promotes to the next level bug-free.
- Assists with the review of performance issues and tuning of systems for optimum performance.
- May create database objects of moderate complexity.
- Uses object-oriented architectural concepts in developing code.
- Updates standards, policies, procedures, guidelines and technical manuals as directed.
- Participates in meetings, training seminars and user groups.
- Actively participates in high-level to detailed application and architectural designs.
- Responds to emergency situations to resolve problems, as required.
- Develops efficient and effective software modules from higher-level design documents.
- Provides accurate status reports of work progress when asked.
- Provides reasonable estimates of upcoming tasks assigned.
- Comfortably uses development tools such as Visual Source Safe and Visual Studio for source code control, code development, and code deployment.
- Receives formal and on-the-job training.
- Provides informal training and assistance to co-workers where appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Computer Science or closely related field from an accredited college, university, or technical training institute.
- Minimum of five years full-time experience doing development utilizing tools, languages, and operating environment equivalent to that used by the Secretary of State's office.
Position posted March 5, 2013. The minimum posting period will end April 5, 2013. After the minimum posting period, the position may be closed to new applicants and filled at any time.
Application materials (cover letter, resume, completed application) may be mailed to: Attention:Computer Information Tech Specialist I, Human Resources, Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 1767, Jefferson City, MO 65101. EOE.