Download the Employment Application
To our applicants with disabilities: If you need assistance with this or any phase of the employment process, please contact our Human Resource Office at (573) 522-6254. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate your needs.
Computer Information Technology Specialist II
Commensurate with experience, up to $5,250 monthly
Jefferson City, Missouri
An individual in this position performs highly complex analysis, design, program development, and administration/configuration of computer application software. The primary responsibility of the Senior Application Developer is PHP, .NET or equivalent programming language development. The Senior Application Developer is responsible for providing customer support, troubleshooting software problems, and assisting less experienced developers with complex tasks or problems. The Senior Application Developer is the Subject Matter Expert for SOS Application programming.
The general responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following job functions.
- Application Development
Analyze, plan, and develop application solutions
- Application Testing
Perform essential tests to ensure functionality and performance
- Application Support
Maintain and enhance existing applications
- Application Deployment
Deployment of specific applications in a QA, UA, and Production environment
An individual in this position exercises a high degree of skill and competency which utilizes judgment and initiative in the performance of duties. The individual in this position will be able to perform the following types of work tasks. These examples are a representation of expected work, but are not limited to just the following.
- Designs, writes, documents, tests, and maintains applications including those of high complexity.
- Performs maintenance/enhancement activities on existing applications in accordance with user or analyst requirements and without disrupting functional existing code.
- Responds to questions from customers needing assistance; identifies problem source and resolves problems; refers and discusses problems with supervisor or other designated contacts as appropriate.
- Researches, analyzes, and recommends technical solutions to integrate and improve efficiency of information systems, and incorporate emerging technology and operational best practices.
- Designs websites ensuring functionality and compliance with ADA requirements and state guidelines.
- Develops efficient business and data access logic to support online applications.
- May serve as support technician for any system regardless of complexity.
- Thoroughly tests and corrects developed code so that it promotes to the next level bug-free.
- Assists with the review of performance issues and tuning of systems for optimum performance.
- May create database objects of varying complexity.
- Uses object-oriented architectural concepts in developing code.
- Updates standards, policies, procedures, guidelines and technical manuals as directed.
- Participates in meetings, training seminars and user groups.
- Responds to emergency situations to resolve problems, as required.
- Actively participates in high-level to detailed application and architectural designs.
- Develops efficient and effective software modules from higher-level design documents.
- Provides accurate status reports of work progress when asked.
- Provides reasonable estimates of upcoming tasks assigned.
- Comfortably uses development tools such as Visual Source Safe and Visual Studio for source code control, code development, and code deployment.
- Receives formal and on-the-job training.
- Provides informal training and assistance to co-workers where appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of object-oriented program development
- Thorough knowledge and use of quality coding practices
- Thorough knowledge of application analysis, design, and testing methodologies
- Thorough knowledge of PHP frameworks, including ZEND or equivalent programming language(s)
- Thorough knowledge of stateless web development and web services
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating principles
- Working knowledge of web browser processing principles
- Working knowledge of computer hardware and software capabilities
- Working knowledge of computer security systems and procedures
- Working knowledge of computer networking and telecommunications
- Working knowledge of database management systems
- Some knowledge of Secretary of State's automated information systems
- Proficient in NET (C#, ASP and/or VB)
- Proficient in HTML
- Proficient in XML
- Proficient in MSSQL Store Procedures
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Skills and Abilities:
- Communicate effectively.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Independence in performing work
- Significant productivity of high-quality work.
- Logical approach to problem-solving and troubleshooting.
- In-depth problem analysis.
- Multi-task concurrent projects, requests, and/or problems.
- Understand Use Cases and other UML products.
- Prepare and maintain standards, policies, procedures, guidelines and technical manuals.
- Guide and mentor team members.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to interact with and obtain requirements and information from end-users.
- Ability to grasp and use new technologies and tools.
- Ability to prepare and interpret program documentation.
- Ability to adhere to SOS Application Services development standards
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex application problems.
- Ability to contribute significantly to the analysis of policies, procedures and operations, the organizing of their component parts into system specifications, databases, and programs, and the adaptation of them to an automated system.
- Ability to create bug-free programs, enhancements, and corrections quickly and in accordance with reasonable schedules established by supervisor or project management personnel.
Education and Experience:
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 15 earned credit hours in computer science; and five or more years of full-time experience in one or more of the following areas: application development/support, system programming, and/or web technologies.
Position posted January 1, 2014. The minimum posting period will end Aprily 30, 2014. After the minimum posting period, the position may be closed to new applicants and filled at any time.
Application materials (cover letter, resume, completed application) may be mailed to: Attention: Computer Information Technology Specialist II, Human Resources, Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 1767, Jefferson City, MO 65102. Hrmain@sos.mo.gov EOE.