St. Joseph Museums, Inc.
St. Joseph City Hall, The Edmund Eckel/Otto Brunner Architectural Collection
For sixty-five years, Edmund Eckel was the leading architect in St. Joseph, Missouri. He was born 1845 in Strasburg, Alsace, France and studied in Paris at L’Ecole des Beaux Arts. He arrived in St. Joseph in 1869. Immediately impressed by the post-Civil War building activity he saw, he decided to settle and work there rather than continuing on to Kansas City as originally planned. During his career, he and his associates designed approximately 75% of the city’s buildings. The Eckel and Aldrich Architectural Firm organized in 1910, consisting of Edmund, his son George, and Will S. Aldrich. This talented and prolific firm designed dozens of buildings in St. Joseph, across Missouri, and in surrounding states. Their designs included schools, residences, churches, hospitals, businesses, government buildings and banks. The Eckel and Aldrich firm was one of only two Missouri firms in the final group of ten architects involved in the competition to design the new Missouri State Capitol. Their design finished second to the New York architectural firm of Tracy and Swartwout. The firm, later known as Brunner and Brunner, is credited with designing Columbia, Missouri’s Municipal Building; Union Station in Hannibal, Missouri; St. Louis City Hall; the National Biscuit Company plant in Los Angeles; Council Bluffs, Iowa Courthouse and Jail and St. Joseph’s own City Hall.
The Edmund Eckel/Otto Brunner Architectural Collection was donated to the St. Joseph Museum in 2008 by River Bluffs Architects, a direct descendent of the Eckel and Aldrich firm. The collection contains approximately 20,000 architectural drawings, 12,000 tracings, 9,000 magazines and cut sheets, 1,000 photographs, 500 books, 65 glass negatives, and 200 renderings, as well as correspondence dating to the 1870s, financial records and some furniture. The images presented here are a small portion of that larger collection. These sixty photographs and architectural drawings illustrate one project undertaken by Eckel and Aldrich: the construction of St. Joseph City Hall, which was completed in 1927. The building design is in the Italian Renaissance revival style and is built of stone and concrete. Its south façade faces St. Joseph’s Civic Center Park. The photographs illustrate each step in the construction process as well as interior and exterior details and decoration. The City Hall building reflects the talent of the architects of Eckel and Aldrich as well as the culmination of the City of St. Joseph’s growth period, which ended with the Great Depression of the 1930s.
Rights and Reproductions
Use of digital images found on this website is permitted for private or personal use only. This material may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Copyrighted materials may be used for research, instruction, and private study under the provisions of Fair Use, outlined in section 107 of copyright law. Publication, commercial use, or reproduction of this image or the accompanying data requires prior written permission from the copyright holder. User assumes all responsibility for obtaining the necessary permission to publish (including in digital format) from the copyright holder. For more information on using this image, contact the St. Joseph Museum at (800) 530-8866 or email@example.com.
How to Use This Collection
This collection may be browsed in its entirety or it may be searched by title, description, date and subject.