MISSOURI STATE ARCHIVES
Progress Amidst Prejudice:
Portraits of African Americans in Missouri, 1880-1920
Guided Discussion Questions
- The curriculum is titled Progress Amidst Prejudice.
- In what ways had black Missourians at the time these portraits were taken made advances since the end of slavery?
- In what ways were black Missourians still struggling for equality and success?
- Why do you think so many African Americans in Missouri have migrated to urban areas?
- What is the purpose of studying a photograph collection like this?
- Why do you think the people and families in the portraits chose to spend money to have their photograph taken?
- Discuss the fact sheet.